Click here for Expedition Impossible Audition Tape!

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

I have not posted in a while.... I have been tapering down a bit.  I'm doing 3-4 days in the gym, and taking every other weekend off when I have Madison.  It all has to be kept in check, or balance.  So I am very comfortable with what I have done.  Some people have done more, some less, but  I feel stronger and faster than I ever have in my life, and have been able to achieve that while also keeping my focus at work, with my daughter, Sindy, moving, friends, etc....I feel good that I have been able to have some balance while getting through all this. 

I have reached another level for sure.  My workouts are all in circuits now, and I hit 7-10 exercises on a target muscle group, then go do 20 min. of cardio, repeat, and then hard cardio in the sauna.  I have taken what cross fit does, combined with all my years of wrestling and weightlifting and found a very tough groove that has kept me injury free.  That was the theory behind Cross Fit Endurance...cross training at 20 min with very focused, form concentrated workouts to prevent injury while staying athletic.  I would go to cross fit, however, my workouts are way tougher than what a cross fit can provide as they are in a group setting.  What they do in 20 min. Ill do that with twice as much and for longer periods.  I need that type of training for an event as large as this.....

A few things as I draw near.......  I have really enjoyed the community and people I have met on this journey.  Having social Internet sites has changed events like this.  You now have a place where people from all over the country or world can communicate, blog, message, text, and talk about their journey.  Its amazing to know that what you are going through, everyone else is sharing..... its the struggle that makes it so special.  Its important to remember that.  I have learned to enjoy all of it, and take it all with a smile.  I honestly believe this entire experience and all I am going through will ultimately make me a more patient, understanding, and appreciative person....

Speaking of appreciation.... I am VERY appreciative of all the support throughout this.  All my family, friends, Sindy, and other athletes have pushed me through a truly incredible adventure.  Madison who believes in me, Sindy who stands next to me and has ice when I need it :) Tom and Yesel my trinity, Spencer, Al, and Craig who give me words of encouragement, my uncle rich who always has the right thing to say at the most unexpected times, my cousin Amy who has always been the person I would want to be, my brother who reminds me that in the end you need to have fun, all the other people who have contributed, helped, opened up their homes and heart during this training process, my friends in the Death Race community who give me the competitive drive needed, my mother who thinks I am nuts but is always proud of me, and the other day I got a very nice text from my cousin who told me she was speaking with my father who was very proud of all I am doing.  That meant a lot to me as he never really shows that side of himself to me.  I have always wanted to make him proud, or just share something we have in common.  I think through just the person I have become, driven, ambitious, family first, we have found that common ground.  It doesn't have to be a car for us to share interest....sometimes you can be completely different people on the surface but be so similar at your core

So my workouts have gone down to a circuit, cardio, another circuit, and sauna.  Usually takes me about 2-3 hours, which believe it or not is a taper.  The other day I had a guy give me possibly the biggest compliment of my life...he is a larger gentlemen, probably 300-350 lbs.  The past couple of days as he waits for his class to begin he has watched me in my cardio workouts.  The other day as I was doing my thing, he stopped me, and I tried to shrug him off because I want to work.  He told me "sorry to bother you, I just wanted to tell you that you inspire me.  I have been thinking about quiting the gym and thinking that i cant do any of this.  When I watch you and your diligence and devotion I think that maybe some day I can get there as well.  If you can do that at that level, i can commit to my plan.  You inspire a lot of people"

That really motivated me.  To come from a stranger....well, it was really amazing.  I'm ready for this thing, I plan to give it my all. 


btw....I have one last "mini death race" this weekend with Tom...

he is pretty creative with things and here is my gear list thus far....LOL......

goggles
gloves
mountain bike
3 rocks the size of the palm of your hand
rosary
sledge hammer or maul
duct tape
pillow case

then he got mad when I guessed what this was for and added 3 more rocks and jean shorts, which I still don't know if I will show up with or not...LOL....Id almost prefer some punishment....make it tough......

No comments:

Post a Comment