Click here for Expedition Impossible Audition Tape!

Friday, May 20, 2011

going to finish

We got our first email from Andy in forever.  As my friend, Al, said looks like the race has gotten some publicity and they are really going to try and make this thing as tough as possible.  The only thing that bothered me was the idea of it going through Monday.  We had made plans to leave Monday.  I was a little worried at first, but was relieved to hear Yesel tell me she is ok with staying an extra day, and I kinda like the idea of it going for so long. 

I think that email was intended to intimidate, but really all it did for me is motivate!  For a long time I didn't think we belonged or were in the class of some of the athletes.  People like my dad always try to tell me how difficult this is, or how accomplished some of the athletes are, or like he said today "this seems pretty silly.  If they asked me to take a medicine ball keep it over my head in a freezing lake, I would just go home".  But that's the point of this entire race...its a test of the human spirit.  This isn't about speed or your credentials...this is about testing your spirit, who you are as a person....what are you going to do in your darkest moments? 

I have always thought of myself as a grinder.  I was never the most gifted athlete...but I always felt I could outwork anyone.  I would stick things out when others would quit and move on.  I have a lot of tenacity and very little break in me.  This race has already been such a test for me physically, emotionally, financially, and spiritually, and it has been the best thing in my life!  I love the adversity, I love the challenge.  This is the time to find out what you are made of. 

I also am starting to think that I belong.  I have read some peoples blogs and workouts, and even some of the most accomplished athletes do the same or less than what Yesel and I have done.  Both of us have a ton of drive and stubbornness, and I believe we BELONG.....

My new motto for the next 5 weeks as given to me from Spencer is...
YOU WILL FINISH

I also wanted to write that the support I have been feeling has been overwhelming.  My friend called to tell me he would see if he could make the flight.  Even if he doesn't, that type of support is amazing.  My family, friends, all of it has been awesome.  I just feel so good spiritually and ready to do this.  Today my daughter told me she was making a sign for me.  She told me her daddy could beat anyone but her!  I'm going up there with the support of my gf, friends, family, and it feels great!!!

I WILL FINISH....

No comments:

Post a Comment